I normally like to write about the best travel credit cards that can earn you valuable rewards to book expensive travel vacations with flights, hotels, car rentals, and more. However, for many reasons, people come to me and ask me about different credit cards that serve alternate purposes and that can benefit people in multiple ways. Whether they’re looking for a card that has 0% APR for the first year, in order to make a large purchase or to not have to worry about paying off their credit card bill in full for a little while. Or they need a card with no annual fee, or would like to earn cash back or gift cards that they can use for every day shopping. Not everyone plans small or big vacations every year and they would like to have a credit card that best suits them and that can help them receive money back for the purchases they make at their favorite stores.
If you’re a person who is looking for a dynamic and versatile card, which can earn you up to 20% cash back, then the Discover it® card may be the credit card for you!
Cash Back Categories:
- Earn 5% cash back on rotating categories that change throughout the year.
- Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn 5-20% cash back at 200+ online retailers like Apple Store, Macy’s and BestBuy.com through ShopDiscover.com.
ShopDiscover usually has some of the most generous cash back bonuses that will earn you hundreds if not thousands of dollars in cash back each and every year!
0% Intro APR:
With the Discover It Card, you will receive 14 months of 0% APR on purchases and transfers, OR 18 months of 0% APR on transfers and 6 months on purchases. These offers are fantastic for people looking to open a card and not have to worry about big spending and paying off your credit card bill right away. If you need to make a large purchase and want to take your time in paying it off, this card helps you do that. Or, if you currently have a different credit card that carries a high bill and you want to transfer it over to the Discover it® card and take your time in paying it off, rather than paying high interest rates with your current card, the Discover it® card charges a one-time 3% balance transfer fee and then you’ll have 0% APR!
Many people who don’t have high credit scores (at least a 700 or above), tend to have trouble getting their applications accepted for the big travel credit cards with Chase, American Express, CitiBank, or Barclays. Thus, the Discover It card is a great first credit card to help build your credit score and show some of the other big banks that you have a track record of paying off your debt and are working on building your credit. My brother was successful in doing this and currently has multiple travel credit cards that he uses to earn valuable reward points. He still really likes using his Discover card in order to earn cash back in the highest categories that ShopDiscover has to offer. If you are a student with lower credit and would also like to build credit, then I suggest taking a look at the Discover it® for Students, which is easier for students and people with lower credit to get accepted for. Students receive very similar terms as the regular It card and can take advantage of the really high cash back reward offers.
No Annual Fee:
Not everyone likes having a credit card with an annual fee and it can become a drag when juggling multiple credit cards. The Discover it® card is great to keep around for whenever you want to make a purchase with a generous cash back offer on ShopDiscover, and you don’t have to worry about any upcoming annual fees!
Redeeming Cash Back:
Redeem your cash back bonuses for gift cards, merchandise, or straight up cash in the form of a direct deposit to your bank account or a credit to your Discover it® account in $50 increments, starting at $50. You can also earn double the value of your rebates by redeeming them for certain gift cards that are offered by Discover at over 150 partner stores!
Amazon.com also makes it very easy for you to redeem your cash back rewards at their online store. Learn more about using your cash back bonus to purchase millions of items on Amazon.com.
All in all, I find the Discover It card to be a fantastic option for those who fit any of the needs listed in this article. It can serve many purposes and can be a great card to just have around and use for its fantastic cash back options on ShopDiscover.com. With no annual fee, you’ve got nothing to lose, only cash back to gain!
- 0% intro APR on purchases & balance transfers for 14 months—then a variable purchase APR applies, currently 10.99% – 22.99%. A 3% fee applies to each transferred balance.
- Over 5,000 cardmembers rated 4.8 out of 5 stars* and now Discover “Ranked Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Credit Card Companies in a Tie” by J.D. Power*.
- 5% cash back for online shopping and department store purchases on up to $1,500 – Oct. through Dec. 2014 when you sign up*. 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Free FICO® Credit Score online and on monthly statements*.
- No annual fee, no late fee for your first late payment – APR won’t go up for paying late, no overlimit fee and no foreign transaction fee.*
- Each Discover purchase is monitored. If it’s unusual, you’re alerted by e-mail, phone or text-and never responsible for unauthorized Discover card purchases.
- 100% U.S.- based customer service—anytime, day and night.
- *See rates, rewards, free FICO® Credit Score terms and other info by clicking “Apply.”
Disclaimer: Flymiler has financial relationships with some of the cards mentioned in this website, and Flymiler.com may be compensated if consumers choose to apply for these links in our content and ultimately sign up for them. This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the credit card issuer, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer.