American Express is now offering a 40,000 point sign up bonus for their Platinum card. Amex is starting to try and compete with Chase’s higher sign up bonuses that are normally 40k-50k for their Sapphire and Ink cards. Does the new sign up bonus make this card worth it? Well take a look at the breakdown below and decide for yourself!
The Platinum Card from American Express offers many great perks for its cardholder. This card will earn you valuable Membership Reward points that can be used for over a dozen airlines and a bunch of hotel chains listed here. The transfer partners include the great award mileage charts by ANA and British Airways that allow you to book Star Alliance and One World partners for cheaper mileage-based awards. Singapore Airlines is another partner, which can help you reach that coveted first class suite award ticket that eludes even the most frequent of flyers.
The Platinum Card gives you complimentary lounge access to the Priority Pass network, the Delta Sky Club lounges, and the Centurion lounges. The card will refund you $100 statement credit for your application to the Global Entry government program that expedites your clearance upon re-entrance to the United States. Best of all, receive a $200 statement credit per calendar year on incidentals such as checked baggage, flight changes, and in-flight purchases spent at any airline of your choice. If you receive this card towards the end of the calendar year, receive the $200 statement credit, and do it again early the next calendar year, then you are essentially receiving a $400 statement credit that almost offsets the $450 annual fee.
Also, receive one free year of Amazon Prime with your Platinum Card. You receive automatic Starwood Gold status just for having this card! So many great perks and great value can be had with the Platinum Card from American Express, so don’t wait to get your card ASAP and earn valuable points towards more free travel. If you’re interested in getting all 3 cards but don’t want to take a big hit to your credit score, then read about 2, 3, or 4 Browser Method and our latest App-O-Rama: January 2014.
Apply Now (consumer card)
- Earn 40,000 Membership Reward points after you spend $3,000 in three months
- Get one year of Amazon Prime after you sign up for a new membership with your Card and meet the spending requirement in the same time period
- $200 statement credit toward airline incidental spending each calendar year
- $100 statement credit towards the Global Entry program application
- Free lounge access at Priority Pass, Delta Sky Club, and Centurion lounges
- No foreign transaction fees
- Free automatic Starwood Gold elite status
- 24/7 Platinum Card Concierge service for assistance with reservations, travel, gifts, and more
The Platinum card is also introducing two new perks for cardholders to try to make up for the loss of the Admirals Club access. They include:
Starting in June 2014, Platinum Card Members will receive complimentary, unlimited access to more than 700,000 land-based Wi-Fi hotspots worldwide in airports, retail and hotel locations through the Boingo American Express Preferred Plan. Once enrolled in the plan, Card Members can have simultaneous internet access for up to four devices without worrying about data caps or roaming fees.
Statement Credit Option for TSA Pre✓™
Starting in June 2014, Platinum Card Members will have the option to receive a statement credit for a TSA Pre✓™ application fee. The $85 statement credit for TSA Pre✓™ is an alternative to the existing benefit that American Express launched in 2011―a $100 statement credit for a Global Entry application fee. Card Members can receive a statement credit for either the TSA Pre✓™ or Global Entry program application fee once every five years.
- If the Card Member travels internationally, Global Entry can reduce wait time at US Customs when returning from international travel. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, the Card Member will receive access to TSA Pre✓™
- If the Card Member does not travel internationally or does not think he/she meets the requirements of Global Entry, the Card Member can opt to apply for TSA Pre✓™ alone. TSA Pre✓™ allows low-risk travelers to experience faster, more efficient screening at participating U.S. airports.
If you are having trouble meeting the spending requirements for any credit card you’ve recently opened, make sure to check out Ways to Help You Meet Your Spending Threshold.